Monday, January 23, 2012

Ok, I watched "The Tree of Life" and I hated it!

Every 2011 top ten movie list I came across was touting this Tree of Life jazz.  One of my all time favorite movies is The Thin Red Line and so I thought, ok Terrence Malick, you crazy awesome bastard, I'll check out your Brad Pitt movie.  How can we lose?

FAIL! This movie seemed like a drunken parody of a Terrence Malick movie.  If you were going to make fun of his style: the breathy narration, long curvy landscapes and strange angles from which he rises around all the actors--then this little Tree of Life movie would have been the greatest comedic gesture of all time.   However I think it was supposed to be very serious, and therefore the whole time I sat there with my mouth kind of ajar as if to say, WHAT THE HELL, MALICK?  Seriously--Sean Penn was completely irrelevant--why was he there at all, I wondered?  There were many gorgeous moments for sure, but all in all this movie left me numb and frustrated and really I just wished he had done the whole thing with just the dinosaurs.   The dinosaurs were awesome.    Maybe just dinosaurs and Brad Pitt living in a shack along the river before the KT Extinction would have been awesome.

I hate to be a hater, cause I do love the guy, but Terrence, NO.  This one made me mad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment